Deepak Singh Sachdeva Fined For Renting Accommodation That Posed A Serious Risk To Life

0

Deepak Singh Sachdeva left Environmental health officers shocked after they found two children living in cupboards behind a convenience store in Bristol. Deepak who owned the shop and was the tenants’ landlord was found guilty of renting out the accommodation that was of such poor quality it ‘posed a serious risk to life’.

Three people, including two children, were discovered sleeping in cupboards in dire and overcrowded accommodation behind the Premier store.

Housing officials found a total of nine people living in two tiny living spaces inside the shop building, Bristol Post reports. Paul Smith, Bristol City Council’s cabinet member for housing, has described ‘some of the worst conditions’ that environmental health officers have ever seen.

Deepak Singh Sachdeva, who owned the Premier store in Avonmouth Road, Avonmouth, did not turn up to court and was found guilty of a host of offences under both the Housing Act 2004 and the 2007 Houses in Multiple Occupation Act.

When council environmental health officers visited the property they found three of the nine people living there were sleeping in cupboards in the eaves of the roof, including two children.

A pregnant woman was among the nine people crammed into the two living spaces secretly built and converted inside the back of the shop unit. The living accommodation was above the shop’s rear storage area.

The court heard it was found to be ‘of poor structural condition and design, posing serious risk to life due to inadequate fire separation and precautions’.

“There was very poor fire-resistant separation between the shop store and the flat above, with the floorboards of the living accommodation clearly visible from the storage area immediately below,” a council spokesperson said.

“Other property defects included large gaps around fire doors, offering no protection from potential fire or smoke hazards. There was no working fire detection in place prior to emergency smoke detectors being fitted by the council.

“One of the studio flats also lacked basic ventilation, with no external windows and limited access via a poorly maintained staircase,” he added.

Singh Sashdeva, who lives in Surbiton in Surrey, was ordered to pay £87,000 in fine, and with costs and a victim fund surcharge, he will have to pay £88,634.

“The magistrates felt that the high penalty reflected the money made from the tenants, given the severity of complete disregard for the safety of tenants, particularly children and the serious risk to life the property posed,” the council spokesperson added.

Make sure you check out Daily Ent Xpress daily, for the latest Punjabi songs, news, food and entertainment news. Be sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram to be ahead of the game with everything Punjabi!

The New Desi Grills Desi Pubs Premier League Table – March 2020

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply

error: Content is protected !!