A disgraced ex-Manchester City footballer who went to prison for killing a brother and sister in a road smash is facing jail again after he was caught drink driving following a night out at the Christmas markets.
Courtney Meppen-Walter, 24, was found to be more than twice the alcohol limit after he was arrested on Monday following a 3am tussle with a police patrolman in Manchester city centre.
In February 2013, Meppen-Walter, then 18 was locked away for 16 months after a silver Mercedes Elegance CDI car he was ”showboating in” ploughed into a red Nissan Micra while travelling nearly twice the 30mph speed limit in Cheetham Hill.
The impact killed Kulwant Singh, 32, who was driving the Micra and his 37-year old sister Ravel Kaur who was a front seat passenger.
Mrs Kaur’s two sons Amjid and Parveen, 16 and 17 were sat in the back and were left fighting for life with serious injuries and had to be cut free from the mangled wreckage.
Meppen-Walter was released after serving just four months of his sentence. At the time he posted a message on social media saying: ”I wish there was a switch I could click. To turn back time. And take back everything that happened – Amen.”
His criminal trial was told how the double death crash in September 2012 occurred just five months after Meppen-Walker was caught speeding at 54mph in another 30mph zone in Bury. The former £1,000 a week defender who represented England at under-17 level was travelling in convoy with a friend in a VW Golf.
He had been to a Shisha bar in Rusholme, Manchester with friends and went home to get ready to head out to One Central bar in the city centre.
He was driving a Mercede Elegance CDI whilst friends were in a VW Golf and the two cars were “jockeying” around for position – accelerating and swapping lanes. Observers said the cars were also slowing down, possibly for speed cameras and their driving was erratic.
Mr Singh was driving his sister and her children home from a Sikh temple and was due to return to collect his wife and their two children, aged one and three.
He pulled out out a side road and into the path of the Mercedes which driving an average of 56mph in a 30mph.
The footballer swerved from left to right then braked but could not avoid the impact. One witness said Meppen Walker stayed at the scene and was showing remorse especially when he saw the children and he tried to help.
He later claimed his ”lack of driving experience contributed to a likelihood of a collision” but said the Nissan emerged unexpectedly from the side road.
Adjourning this new case Deputy District Judge Alexandra Simmonds said: ”He has previous for a very serious driving offence relating to somebody’s death.”
She told the footballer: “Mr Meppen-Walter, you pleaded guilty and you will get credit in due course. But the court needs more information about you before I decide what to do with you. All options will be considered.”
Meppen-Walter began his career with Manchester City but was released from the club after his conviction for two charges of causing death by careless driving. After his release from jail he joined Carlisle United before signing for Conference North club, Chorley in March 2016
Officers had pulled their patrol car in front of the former Blues starlet’s car after they saw him crash into a kerb and then stall the vehicle at a set of red traffic lights.
When he was stopped Meppen-Walter, who now plays for non-league Chorley, initially refused to get out of the car and had to be hauled out.
He was said to have resisted the officer and was eventually pulled to the floor with the help of two passersby, Manchester Magistrates’ Court heard.
On Friday the defender admitted driving with excess alcohol and driving with the front wheel cord on his tyre exposed. He could face up to six months in jail.
He will be sentenced in the New Year following the preparation of reports. He appeared in court from police cells but was freed on unconditional bail and was allowed out of a side door to avoid waiting photographers.