A restaurant called ‘Taste Of Lyallpur’ is now being branded the ‘Glass Of Lyallpur’ after a customer allegedly found “a piece of glass in a Naan bread” which in-turn meant the restaurant received the lowest possible food hygiene rating of zero.
Taste of Lyallpur on Western Road was rated zero out of five after an inspection on January 11 under its previous name, Green’s Grill, although an employee confirmed that only the name had changed and that owners were the same!
Owner and manager Malik Qasim has insisted that the complaint that triggered the inspection came from two drunk customers, who were removed from the shop by police and that 90 per cent of the issues had since been resolved.
Issues raised in the report included a lack of hand-washing, naan dough prepared on the table for raw meat and mice and rat droppings.
The inspector from Ealing council noted in their report that staff did not appear to be trained in food safety, “did not wear clear protective over-clothing” and “did not wash hands”.
The temperature noted in the freezer was -9.1 degrees, according to the report, almost half the required temperature of -18 degrees according a report in My West London.
The report also pointed out that “naan dough was rolled on a raw meat preparation table” and that “food was stored uncovered”, including chicken stored next to the hand wash basin and “open cans of tinned food stored in fridge”.
Raw chicken in a bag was spotted on top of a yoghurt container and other raw food was stored on top of dough.
The inspector also expressed concerns about “chemicals stored next to food”, a microwave which was “placed on a chair” and “rice bags stored directly on the floor”.
They also advised that the manager should repair the “damaged cable to the cold room” and the “broken window in the kitchen”.
There was also evidence on the premises of both mice and rat droppings, although manager Malik Qasim insisted he employs a pest control company regularly and that there are simply “a lot of rats” in the area.
“I rang the rat guy straight away and ever since we have not seen any rat droppings and we have been keeping a very close eye on it.”
Speaking to My London , he alleged the original complaint about a piece of glass in a naan bread “would not have been possible” and was an “absolute lie”.
He believes the report was sent to the council as revenge by two men that were removed from the restaurant for drunken, rowdy behaviour by police in December and later banned.
However, he was unable to provide an exact date so that this incident could be verified with the Metropolitan Police.
Regarding the other issues raised in the report, he said they had resolved “90 per cent” of them, adding that restaurants “can’t reach 100 per cent” as the local authority will “always find something that needs attention”.
Such repairs included covering the broken window with plaster board, redoing the floor and walls and purchasing cling film and air-tight containers to store food. He also had a handwashing basin installed in a small room next to the kitchen.
While Malik insisted some issues raised in the report, such as an alleged lack of protective clothing worn by staff, were simply not the case, since his employees wear caps and plastic aprons “all the time”, in other cases he appreciated he had much to learn from the inspection.
He explained: “We got the shop in November 2018 and did not know we needed a separate table for raw meat, hence why we were preparing on the same table.
“The inspector was also right about the containers, they were not really managed properly at the time because we did not have the information and knowledge.”