Pigeon Spotted Inside Scandal Hit Hospital Where Mito Kaur Passed Away After Picked Up Fungus Related Infection.

0

A pigeon was spotted flying inside a scandal-hit hospital where three people died after contracting infections. A 10-year-old boy and 73-year-old woman picked up cryptococcus, a fungus linked to pigeon droppings, at the £1billion Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (QEUH) in Glasgow.

Last Thursday 63-year-old grandmother Mito Kaur died after contracting a fungal lung infection at the hospital, reports the Daily Mirror. That same day a pregnant mother filmed a bird flying freely within the hospital’s maternity ward waiting area.

The death of shop worker Mrs Kaur is being investigated by prosecutors.

The mother of four and grandmother of nine died on 2am on March 14 after her life support machine was switched off.

Relatives criticised hospital staff, claiming they only found out about her condition from reports of a fungal outbreak in a press release on the hospital’s website last month.

Aamer Anwar, the Kaur family’s lawyer, said he contacted prosecutors to advise them of the family’s concerns, and their ‘desire for a fully independent investigation to take place’.

He said: ‘I understand that the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal have instructed the police to obtain a full report, following which an independent post-mortem will be carried out.

‘In recent days an unannounced inspectorate report into the management of infection and control following two previous deaths was published; this was a devastating indictment of the culture that existed at the QEUH.

‘The family remain highly concerned at the role of senior management and demand a full and independent inquiry.’

The grandmother was taken to hospital after contracting flu which then developed into pneumonia.

Mrs Kaur picked up the Mucor fungus and the infection caused her brain to swell and her heart became inflamed.

A spokeswoman for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde told The Herald on Sunday: ‘We have investigated a number of potential sources for Mucor without discovering the source and our investigations have concluded.’

Mrs Kaur’s daughter previously said the family had not been told of their mother’s fungal infection until they read about it on the NHSGGC website.

She said she questioned doctors who confirmed their mother was one of those who had the deadly infection.

NHSGGC denied this, insisting the family were told three days before any information about Mucor was made public.

Mrs Kaur was moved to the intensive care unit at the QEUH, but then moved again to an open part of the ward, according to her family.

Her ICU room had been sealed up, and it was reported that panelling from the walls had been stripped off to try and find out if a leak had caused the fungus.

It was previously reported that the Mucor fungus which infected Mrs Kaur was thought to have been linked to a water leak.

The Kaur family’s lawyer, Aamer Anwar, said: ‘The family were told by the hospital that they had tried to trace the Mucor, but because of the nature of the fungus, it had been impossible to find.

‘Mito’s family remain highly dissatisfied with the explanation given and concerned in case another patient becomes seriously ill as a result of contracting the Mucor infection.

‘The family are waiting on the post-mortem and inquiries being carried out by Crown Office before they will be able to comment fully on the nature and cause of their mother’s death.’

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply

error: Content is protected !!