Sarbjit Singh from Auckland has entered a ‘Not Guilty’ plea via his lawyer at Auckland District Court on Thursday morning. The charge relates to the alleged assault of Jazmine Rose Phillips on Karangahape Rd, in Auckland’s CBD, on January 21.
The incident gathered publicity after Jazmine Rose Phillips along with a friend staged a naked protest at the entrance of a shopping centre in Auckland. Jazmine and her friend stood naked, hand-in-hand covered in fake blood with black tape over their mouths.
Jazmine Phillips was walking down the street with her partner on January 21 when Mr Singh allegedly exited his vehicle and started hitting her in the back of the head.
Flyers handed out at the protest said Phillips was unhappy with how police responded to the alleged attack, so she had decided to protest in a bid to process her trauma through art.
Auckland District Commander Superintendent Karyn Malthus has previously told Stuff police had reviewed the procedures and processes around the report, and accept that in this case, it could have been handled better.
Singh was released on bail to reappear at court in late May.