A schoolboy has been banned from his leaver’s assembly – after a barbershop mix-up led to THIS haircut. The hairstyle – branded “extreme” – has seen Arun Purba in hot water with his school.
Whoever branded it extreme has definitely not heard some of the Punjabi tunes that we hear! They are what you call hair raising.
The schoolboy, who attends Ponteland Community Middle School in the North East, was left “humiliated” after his prom cut. The 12-year-old had hoped his new haircut would help him look sharp for his school prom.
He has subsequently been barred from attending following a mix-up with the barber. ChronicleLive reports he was left with a shorter crop than expected – which landed him in hot water. As a result, he was told he could not attend a special leavers assembly – which his dad Jasper says left him feeling victimized.
Mr Jasper Purba said: “He usually gets a 1.5 on the sides, but we had to get a mobile barber in for his prom who was Turkish – he didn’t speak great English and ended up giving him a 0.5.
“It was an accident and I tried explaining it to the school but they weren’t having it.
“He’s an A* pupil, he’s a good lad with 100% attendance and he’s never even been late.
“His only detention was for forgetting his homework. So I find this so petty.”
Mr Purba decided to pull his son out of school in response and said he feels like Arun has effectively been excluded from his final week in class.
He added: “I told the barber 1.5, but after a while, I realised it looked short – I asked him what number he was giving and he said 0.5. I said it was too short but by this time the damage is done.”
But Dr Caroline Pryer said school rules prohibit “extreme haircuts” which include trims that are less than a number two at the side, while styles must be neat and tidy.
With only a couple of days of term left, Mr Purba visited the school on Wednesday morning to explain what happened in the barber’s chair.
Dr Pryer said: “It’s not acceptable and not right for him to be in assembly as we were about to do our leavers’ assembly.”
However, she disputed Mr Purba’s claims that the child had been told to stay at home for his last two days at the Callerton Lane school.
She added: “He has not been kicked out.
“The child is welcome to attend the prom and I’m sure he will be in class tomorrow.”