Spotify was launched just over a week ago in India and in no time it achieved one million unique users across free and premium tiers. The Swedish music streaming platform has given us some insight into what trends are popular and what Punjabi music is creating a buzz.
- The Indian users started the app by listening to musicians and tracks hailing from across the world other than India.
- The most searched Indian Artist on Spotify was Arijit Singh, followed by Tanishk Bagchi and Badshah.
- While the top three streamed songs on Spotify were ‘Sucker’ by Jonas Brothers leading at the top followed by ‘I can’t get enough’ by Benny Blanco ft. Selena Gomez and ‘7 rings’ by Ariana Grande.
- The top playlists of Spotify in the last week of its India launch included ‘Today top hits’, Top hits Hindi’ and ‘Top hits Punjabi’.
- On the other hand, the top 5 streamed genres on Spotify included Pop, Dance-pop, Desi hip hop and Desi and Punjabi
Most streamed Punjab artist is Guru Randhawa, all his Bollywood hits are in the top 200 and his song – Suit Suit – with 65,225 plays this week is the highest ranking Punjabi song on Spotify in India
Manni Sandhu & Akhil – Karde Haan is the second highest ranked Punjabi song 39,722 streams
Ammy Virk’s Daryaa is the third highest ranked Punjabi song with 34,803 streams
Guri – Nira Ishq is fourth with 34,237
Jass Manak – Parada is the fifth highest ranking Punjabi song with 32,173 streams
Streaming will only get bigger in India and after 1 month do not be surprised to start seeing Indian artists in the main global Spotify charts top 200 on a regular basis .